A recent press release from The Pumpkin Farm:
The Pumpkin Farm – one of Northern California’s oldest – is celebrating its 40th year in operation on October 3th, 2014.
CITRUS HEIGHTS, CA – September, 2014. The Pumpkin Farm is one of California’s oldest family-run pumpkin farms, celebrating its 39th year this October 3rd, 2014. Our favorite farmer, Leonard Shymoniak, has been working hard around the farm building some new attractions and tending the harvest crops at the farm. Leonard has been creating the Pumpkin Farm for so long that he doesn’t know what he’d do without it. It takes him about six months of work to prepare for the pumpkin season.
We are also excited to continue with our enhanced school & youth group field trip program which is an instructor-led hayride to accompany your class and provide a field trip presentation that is integrated with the Farm’s history and operations. The tour includes an overview of the Farm’s history, a presentation of the Farm’s extensive antique farm equipment, an overview of the seasonal farming cycles at the Pumpkin Farm, as well as a discussion of other points of interest throughout the Farm, including 100 year old fruit & olive orchards, old chicken & turkey barns, fun scarecrow displays, and our wild turkey & barn owl residents.
The farm is open every day in October to the general public and offers organized field trips to school children and youth groups throughout the greater Sacramento area and neighboring counties. Many Sacramento school children are excited to make their annual trip to the Farm’s pumpkin patch this year.
The family-run farm offers everyone a unique pumpkin farm experience located in the heart of Sacramento, magically capturing the fun, festivities and traditions of the harvest season. Suggested farm activities and offerings include:
- Search for the perfect jack-o-lantern among 100 tons of pumpkins of all shapes and sizes
- Enjoy an old fashioned hayride that meanders throughout the Farm’s 12 acres, bordered by blooming sunflowers and other annual flowers.
- Learn about and see the GIANT PUMPKINS we are growing on the farm. Last year one of our pumpkins took 1st place at the world famous Half Moon Bay Giant Pumpkin Festival contest weighing in at 1,535 pounds!
- Take your chances walking through the recently expanded Haunted Barn, filled with scary monsters, goblins, mummies and specially handcrafted scenes, complete with brand new moving parts and special effects!
- Take a ride on the 8 car train and see all the sights of the farm.
- Visit the farm zoo featuring friendly goats, sheep, turkeys and of course, 3 little pigs
- Stroll throughout the Farm’s scenic property, situated on an authentic old Northern California farm & orchard off of the historic Old Auburn Road, at the gateway to the Gold Country
- Check out the great views from the top of the 30 foot lookout tower and take the fast way down on one of the slippery slides
- Organize a school field trip, youth group outing or birthday party at the Farm. Group tours include a pumpkin, hayride, show-n-tell presentation (school trips only), and a trip through the tower slide and haunted barn – prices start at a very reasonable $6 per child
- View our fun and creative scarecrow scenes set up throughout the farm
- Experience other farm delights such as acres of corn mazes, sunflowers, antique equipment, straw bale pyramids, a huge jump castle and many more fun things for the whole family
The Pumpkin Farm is located at 7736 Old Auburn Road at Mariposa in Citrus Heights, CA, 95610. The Farm opens on Friday, October 3rd through Halloween Day on October 31st. Operating hours are 9 am to 6 pm Tuesday through Sunday (we are closed on Mondays). For more information (including school and youth group inquires), please call (916) 726-1137.
The Pumpkin Farm has been featured on: