Field Trip Information for Preschool & Elementary Teachers and Youth Group Leaders
ATTENTION: PRE-SCHOOL/SCHOOL TEACHERS & YOUTH GROUP LEADERS:
THE PUMPKIN FARM, ONE OF CALIFORNIA’S OLDEST PUMPKIN FARMS IS NOW BOOKING OCTOBER 2016 TOURS FOR ITS INNOVATIVE SCHOOL & YOUTH GROUP PROGRAM
PLEASE CALL (916) 726 1137 NOW TO SCHEDULE YOUR FIELD TRIP!
See www.pumpkinfarm.net/school-tours/ for more info
Our farmer presenter-led hayride provides your class with a field trip presentation that is integrated with the Farm’s history and operations, including the following (depending on grade level) (1):
- The hayride begins with an introduction to the Farm’s history, beginning with an overview of the Nisenan Maidu Native Americans who populated the surrounding area through the Farm’s modern 120 year history of continuous farming (from harvesting oak wood in the 1880s, into a mixed orchard, bee-keeping, then a turkey farm, dairy and finally a pumpkin farm since 1974).
- A presentation of the Farm’s extensive antique farm equipment which covers farming implements from the horse drawn era to the dawn of industrial farming of the 1950s.
- A discussion of other points of interest throughout the Farm, including 100 year old fruit & olive orchards, old turkey barns, fun scarecrow displays, wild turkey residents and barn owl nests.
This curriculum is flexible for class levels from Pre/K up to Middle School and also includes the traditional Pumpkin Farm activities in the following sequence which typically covers 1 ½ hours:
1) Teacher/group check in and distribution of field trip passes
2) Farmer presenter-led hayride through our 16 acres of pumpkin, corn and blooming sunflower fields
3) Learn about and see the pumpkins we are growing on the farm. One of our pumpkins took 1st place at the world famous Half Moon Bay Giant Pumpkin Contest, weighing in at an incredible 1,535 pounds!
4) Visit farm zoo birds and animals – sheep, goats, pigs, turkeys, geese, ducks, and chickens.
5) Walk or run through our one acre corn field maze.
6) Crawl through a hay bale maze, climb a deck under oak trees and slide down to base of straw bale pyramid.
7) Climb to top of the lookout tower and descend to ground level using 4 enclosed tube slides at different levels.
8) If you dare, walk through our haunted barn and see 250 feet of displays featuring Halloween folklore themes in over 40 artistic scenes presented in a background of light, motion and special sound effects.
9) Pick and take home a small pumpkin (5-8 inches in diameter).
10) OPTIONAL – bring your own lunch or snacks to enjoy in the Farm’s shaded picnic table seating area
Per person fee for group tour:
Per Person Fees (2)
(please note the Farm is closed on Mondays)
October 1st – 15th
October 16th – 31st
|All groups (Pre-K – middle school, youth groups)||
(1) Some hayride tours may be recorded audio only subject to class size, school tour scheduling conflicts and/or other unforeseen circumstances.
(2) The per person fee (for student, parent, adult and siblings 2 years & older) includes all the activities above and a small pumpkin.
One classroom teacher or group leader per 20 students has free admission. Fees are payable in lump sum cash, check or credit card for all participants by teacher or group leader upon arrival and registration at the farm. Please note that any non-weather related cancellations must be made at least 1 week prior to a scheduled trip or may be subject to a 25% cancellation fee.
PLEASE CALL (916) 726 -1137 TO SCHEDULE A FIELD TRIP
The Pumpkin Farm, 7736 Old Auburn Road
Citrus Heights, CA 95610
A California family farm since 1972